Friday 9 April 2010

School days

I went to High School in a hideous little town called Merthyr Tydfil.
This high school was a catholic school, not a very enjoyable place for a normal teen, never mind a gay one.
When I first got there I was rather round in shape and had a fetching pudding bowl haircut - I am convinced they were all the rage in 1995 - I used to wear the full uniform with a lovely maroon v neck knitted sweater, and grey slacks.
I even had some gorgeous glasses that Deidre Barlow would have killed for, basically I was a perfect target for bullies, and I would have bullied myself to be honest!
I can't really recall being anything interesting back then other than perhaps a little geeky, I used to get 100% on religious education exams, and was still an alter boy in the local church(basically perfect for a paedophile priest to try it on, but I was so hideous not even he wanted a bit!).

So for the first 2 years I sort of just plodded along, before geek chic was even around, learning nothing, loving Eternal for some reason.
Then I hit the age of 13, and discovered alcohol, sex, and drugs.
And also the Spice Girls.
So me and my friends........we shall call them Gill - Lesbian, Brian - Homo, and Helen - hetero but loved the cock, were all getting pretty close. There were others and they were equally hilarious, but I shall refer to them later.
So anyway we were not the most well behaved kids around, we had a science teacher names Dr Jones, and unfortunate for him, the Aqua song Dr Jones had just come out, so we would sing that at him every given opportunity. From his laboratory I would steal many items, and my bedroom was always full of bunsen burners - though quite what I would do with them is beyond me.
I will always remember me, Gill, Brian, Helen, Stephanie(flame haired amazing girl with the funniest sense of humour ever) and a couple of others were smoking in the girls toilets while bunking off lessons, when all of a sudden a couple of teachers came down, one of them Mrs Felton - think the trunchbull off Matilda only more butch - who spoke with a proper London accent started trying to kick the door down. She eventually got us out and thought we were having an orgy (these catholics have filthy minds) to which, me and Gill had to profess we were gay, this seemed to make her even worse, we were all seperated and taken to see the head teacher - Mr Gay, which as you can imagine caused great delight for us, with a name like that.
I can't recall if we were suspended or put in isolation that time, but that was an eventfull day.
There were many occasions when we were all in trouble, and when GCSE time came, and went, I was the only one left in the 6th form, the others all went on to college.

I found 6th form hard, I was alone, I was gay and the people left all wanted academic lives,while I wanted an artistic life of fashion, art, music and drugs.
The only thing I found myself getting was the drugs.
The 6th form was not eventfull but I still left school at 18 with 4 A Levels, only 1 from the school, the other 3 from night classes in the college.

So when I was 13 just to fly back, I shared with my friends my sexuality, swearing them not to tell anyone, Brian was still closeted then, and proceeded to tell everyone I was gay!
At the time I felt it was awful but looking back I am glad, as I loved being the outcast and know that everyone would always remember me.

We went away one year on a religious excursion to a place called Kinterbury.
This was a kinda gay versus straight excursion, me, Gill, Brian, Stephanie and Jessica(straight but fag hag) against the rest (can't even be bothered to name them, as I can't recall).
Our teacher was Miss O'halloran a chain smoking egg shaped woman, who because she never married we all assumed was a big fat dyke - kids think anyone who is not married is gay it seems.
When we arrived, we were intoduced the nuns and monks and the other schools, there was one nun in particular called Rose, who it turned out was the cook, so we fondly called her Rose the Cooking Nun (imaginitive as teens).
We were meant to learn about ourselves there, all we did was drink and smoke and cause damage to various parts of the building, including smashing a statue of an eagle, we aptly named eagle eye cherry.
Those few days were quite possibly the best memories I have of school, other than being made to go to meditation with a nun at the high school, and someone always falling asleep or farting.

I can't really recall much more of school, but should anymore come back I will be sure to write about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment